Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Back-to-School Supplies, Times Three


I finally located the school supply lists distributed by my children’s teachers and dragged my offspring to Staples to buy $60+ worth of said required supplies, although the Lysol wipes and the box of tissues for my first grader’s classroom weren’t purchased yet, I’ll get those at the grocery store.

Per usual, not all of the brands, counts and types of supplies were available in one location. But unlike past years, where I dragged my sorry behind to various stores trying to find the exact right item, this year, I’ve decided that the classrooms will get what they get. For example, the “Mead” portfolio folders on the classroom list weren’t at the Staples store I visited.


Yes, I could have driven to Target, Office Max, Wal-Mart or ordered them online, but I have many, many things with which to contend right now. I planned on making ONE trip for school supplies, and if a certain brand wasn’t there, I bought the store brand. And the Fiskars pointed scissors that the third grade teachers requested, well, they’re getting store brand as well, as Staples didn’t have Fiskars.

Here's how detailed my kids' school supply lists were:

For my first grader:
-- 3 “Mead” two-pocket, portfolio style folders. One in red. One in blue. One in yellow. (As mentioned, I bought the store brand instead of hunting around in other stores, lazy cheapskate am I.)
-- 4 Elmer’s glue sticks, large.
-- 2 boxes of Crayola crayons, 16-pack, classic colors. (Staples didn’t have a 16-pack, so I bought the 24-pack and was done with this item, which will certainly lead to the downfall of my son’s first grade, classroom environment.)
-- 1 box of Crayola colored pencils, 8-pack, classic colors.
-- 2-4 plain, yellow #2 writing pencils.
-- 1 box of tissues. (I’ll buy them later.)
-- 1 container of Lysol wipes. (Ditto.)
-- 1 box of Crayola, broad-line markers, 10-pack, classic colors.



Now, for my twin third graders’ list, which I bought in duplicate:
-- 1 pair of Fiskars pointed scissors. (As noted above, I bought an *shudder* off-brand.)
-- 4 Elmer’s glue sticks, .77 oz.
-- 1 bottle of Elmer’s glue, 4 oz.
-- 12 pencil top erasers.
-- 6 rectangle, block-style erasers.
-- 24 #2 pencils.
-- 1 pencil sharpener.
-- 1 box of Crayola markers, 8-pack, washable, broad-line.
-- 1 box of Crayola colored pencils, erasable, 10-pack.
-- 1 box of Crayola crayons, 24-count.
-- 8 twin-pocket folders. One each in the following colors: White, yellow, green, orange, blue, red, purple and light blue. (Staples didn’t have light blue, so we bought royal blue and navy blue which will likely confuse someone, somewhere down the line.)
-- 5-tab index divider.
-- 2 composition notebooks, marble covered, 100-page.
-- 1 1-inch, three-ring binder.

Much to The Spouse’s annual chagrin, our first grader’s list specifically states: “All supplies will be distributed to the class in a communal way as they are needed. Therefore, they should not have your child’s name on them.” I’ll have to restrain him the night before school starts from writing Casey’s name on everything.

However, my kids did get a good civics/economics lesson when we brought all of this stuff up to the check-out counter and they learned how much each of their supplies cost, as well as the meaning of the phrase “sales tax.”

E-mail Meredith

(Adam@home image from GoComics.)

No comments: