Thursday, August 16, 2007

Working from Home: End of Summer Edition

There’s a brand new hole in the wall in my kitchen next to the refrigerator. It’s about an inch or so in diameter.

You can’t miss it.

And the same kids who are responsible for that hole decided to torment me this afternoon as I attempted to complete an assignment. Unsatisfied with the five (!) choices I gave them for their afternoon snack, they must’ve somehow conspired to come to my office, one by one, to repeatedly ask me if they could have a particular item that was not on the snack list. Or maybe this other one. Or this other one. Until I threatened to never feed the ingrates again.

In the meantime, I started smiling to myself as I recalled that famous Staples ad, “It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” where the dad is absolutely giddy as he throws school supplies into a shopping carriage and tells his two kids that they’re going back to school soon. A reader recently e-mailed me and inquired about it. So, in the aftermath of this afternoon's madness, I decided to look up the video and found a poor quality version here.

While I was looking for the Staples ad I found this video of a dad and his son preparing for back-
to-school time. The mom does all the hard work and the dad goofs off. Typical.

And, speaking of school, I just had to throw in this link to scenes from an episode of “The Office,” when Michael Scott is a guest speaker at a college business class and, as he is wont to do, says inappropriate things in the lecture hall.

Ahhh. I feel better now. Michael Scott always makes me laugh . . . almost enough to make me forget about that damned hole in the wall. But when The Spouse sees the wall, it’s likely his head will explode. Then we’ll have another mess to clean up.

E-mail Meredith

(Staples image from this web site.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Meredith,
Just came across you via Dot-Moms and then felt like a dummy for never coming across you before. Freelance writer myself and blog about raising step-kids...don't live on the East Coast, but my family does. I always feel compelled to connect with other New Englanders.

Love your work.
Cheers,
stepmothersmilk.com