Monday, October 22, 2007

Unbridled Glee in Mudville Amid the Jet Lag


The kind pilot flying our plane from San Francisco to Boston last night tried his best. He tuned into a Chicago radio station so we, the Red Sox fans on board, could listen to the Olde Towne Team play a do-or-die game the winner of which would punch a ticket to the World Series. When we could no longer get the Chicago station’s muddy signal, the pilot switched to another station. And then another until we could barely make out what was happening in all the static.

By the time we set foot in Boston and then got home to witness the game’s final triumphant moments, my jet lag (I’d never adjusted to west coast time during my stay) was a non-issue, at least for me, as I stayed up watching the team party at Fenway Park. (I’m expecting the jet lag to catch up with me tonight, or tomorrow.)

The Spouse and I spent several days in San Francisco so I could attend the Mommy Track’d/Flexperience seminar on women and work (I’ll blog about it in a later entry), where I signed copies of my Book – A Suburban Mom: Notes from the Asylum – and could appear on a San Francisco TV program the "View from the Bay" with co-host Janelle Wang. (Watch the interview here.)

And while it’s going to take me a while to get back into the groove of EST, one thing that won’t need adjusting to is the fact that the Sox are in the Series.

No comments: