Friday, December 5, 2008

'Big Love' Prepares for Season Three

While I've been eagerly awaiting the commencement of the new season of Lost, I've also been anticipating the start of the new season of Big Love, whose premiere date was pushed back in the wake of the writers' strike.

The polygamist HBO drama has a weird effect on me. I'm simultaneously drawn to and repulsed by it. I'm oftentimes left wondering what it would be like to have a "sister-wife" with whom I could pal around, but that feeling is quickly followed by the weirdness of "sharing" a spouse and having my power and influence in my family ranked in accordance with when I "married" my husband as compared to other wives. Ick.

That conflict aside, I've become a big fan of Big Love, and, in particular, of Jeanne Tripplehorn's character Barb Henrickson as the powerful "first" wife who agreed to turn her monogamous marriage into a polygamist one after she had a near fatal encounter with cancer which left her unable to have any more children.

Seven new Big Love videos have recently been added to the HBO web site, including one that provided a fictionalized version of the Texas polygamist raids which occurred earlier this year. From the look and the mood of the season three promo, it promises to be a creepy season. (Link to the season promo here.)

No comments: