Thursday, April 9, 2009

'Ghosts of Girlfriends Past' Trailer Hooked Me, Sap I Am

I can be a sap for romantic films. Ones that have brains, and sometimes genuine humor. Like When Harry Met Sally. Sleepless in Seattle. Sabrina (the Audrey Hepburn one). The Philadelphia Story. But not crappy romantic comedies that are insultingly stupid. Like Bride Wars.

So although I'm skeptical when I see a trailer for a new rom-com, this week when I saw for the first time a promo for the upcoming Jennifer Garner-Matthew McConaughey film Ghosts of Girlfriends Past which opens May 1, I became hopeful that perhaps it could be one of the ones that's of the non-insulting and smart variety. Of course I could be blinded by my unabashed admiration for Garner (loved her as a smart, tough intelligence agent in Alias and as a wide-eyed 13-year-old in a 30-year-old's body in her first big film role in 13 Going on 30). But I hope not.

No comments: