Friday, June 26, 2009

'13 Going on 30' 'Thriller' Scene

In my blog post about Michael Jackson's death, I invoked my inner teenager who grew up on Jackson music . . . which got me to thinking about Jackson's music and the Jennifer Garner movie, 13 Going on 30. (It was like Tom Hanks' Big, only with a girl.)

Garner played a 13-year-old girl named Jenna Rink, circa the mid-1980s, who was at an awkward time in her childhood and imagined that when she turned 30, she'd have it all together. Then, through the magic of movies, her teenaged mindset was transported to her 30-year-old self in 2004 and she found out that she'd become a cut-throat, heartless editor at a fashion magazine who made poor choices in her life.

The scene below portrayed a party thrown by Jenna's magazine which was completely bombing. Techno music had been playing and the whole soiree was so self-consciously "cool" that it was practically Arctic . . . that is, until Jenna, with her 13-year-old perspective, asked the DJ to play "Thriller." And it eventually warmed up the crowd and brought folks together, listening to the music of their formative years. (I must confess, however, that I never learned the "Thriller" dance myself, though the song was played at my wedding reception which occurred on Halloween night lo so many years ago.)


No comments: