Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Notes on Pop Culture: Emmys' Parentally Challenged/Role Model Noms, 'Rizzoli & Isles' and Sela Ward Returns to TV

Emmys' Parentally Challenged/Parental Role Model Noms

When the Emmy nominations were announced last week, I was taking a good look at which actors and actresses were nominated for what roles when something jumped out at me: The list included a whole lot of characters who play parents on TV. There were good parents, bad parents, parents who try but don’t necessarily succeed and parents who do things they really shouldn’t in the name of “helping” their family.

Then I wondered: If I tallied them up would there be more parentally challenged characters on the list – because behaving badly seems so theatrical and much more comedic and/or dramatic than acting like a goody-two shoes – or would role model parents rule the day?

In my weekly Pop Culture column I found that, surprisingly, there were more role model parents on the list (11) than the parentally challenged (8).

Rizzoli & Isles: New TNT Boston-Centric Cop Show



Not bad, not bad at all. The new TNT cop show Rizzoli & Isles premiered last night and I didn’t hate it. In fact, I found it entertaining. See my review over on CliqueClack TV.

Sela Ward Returns to TV

I haven’t watched any show with “CSI” in its title since the second season of the original CSI aired, then I moved on to other shows. However reports from Entertainment Weekly that Melina Kanakaredes (who I used to watch on Providence) is leaving CSI: NY and that Sela Ward – whom I loved in Once and Again, House and Sisterswhere Ward's character dated George Clooney's character – is in talks to replace her, may make me program my DVR to start recording CSI: NY.

UPDATE: The Hollywood Reporter says Ward is definitely joining the cast of CSI: NY. "Ward will play an experienced investigator from Washington D.C., whose work is driven by her empathy for the victim, according to the network," the Hollywood Reporter said. Gotta love Sela.

Image credits: Hollywood News and BuzzTab.

No comments: