Thursday, September 23, 2010

'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1:' Nov. 19

Mark down the date: November 19.

That's when the second-to-last Harry Potter movie will be released: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I.

I'm planning on taking my twin 12-year-olds to see it on opening weekend as this series is absolutely beloved in my house. My twins have read and re-read and analyzed the entire seven-book series countless times. Our kids have dressed up for Halloween as various Hogwarts students for years. (My older son looked eerily like Harry Potter the one year he was The Boy Who Lived for Halloween.)

My husband and I have read the series as well (me twice) and we, as a family, have been reading it aloud to our 9-year-old. (We're a third of the way through the fifth book, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.) I must admit, I'm really enjoying reading it together.

When I watched the newly-released trailer for Part 1 of Deathly Hallows, it was depressing and sad, as I see Harry as one of the more tragic characters in children's literature and the end of the sixth book/movie, literally made me cry. (No one had yet spoiled the ending for me.)

My husband and I went to see The Town this past week (which I recommend for a thoroughly entertaining two hours) and he saw a poster promoting Deathly Hallows and said it was upsetting to see the image of Hogwarts, on fire, under the heading, "It All Ends Here." *sniff*



Will you be among those on line to see Deathly Hallows?

Image credit: Warner Brothers.

6 comments:

Cooley Horner said...

I'll be there for the midnight premiere, just as I was for the last two movies. I am really excited for this one, though I hope it's a step up from the sixth film, which I found really disappointing. Nonetheless, the trailer looks SICK.

Skye McLain said...

I am so emotionally attached to these books and films. I cannot wait to see the two final movies! However, judging by my reaction to the preview (the boo-hooing sobs and constant chills) I may cause some to think I have completely lost my mind. I am so excited!

Bear Mace said...

I am 26 and I used to be Harry Potter hater, ridiculousing all his readers - until i finally decided to read it on my own, to see 'what the hell is it about'. Since then, I love the books, and I love the movies!!! I believe this trailer does not look as sick as the one for the last movie...

Meredith O'Brien said...

Cooley -- I too was disappointed in Half-Blood Prince and didn't understand why some changes were made between the book and the movie (like the attack on the Burrow).

I hope the final installments don't give short shrift to the emotional power of the final book's quieter moments and just focus on the big, grand moments which I'm certain'll look great with the special effects and all.

Bear Mace -- I didn't think I'd really like the Potter books but started reading them after my kids begged me to. Once I started, though, I too fell in love with them, much to my great surprise.

Crane said...

The promos look wild, but the movie will only be as good as the story. Stick to the story and they'll be great (unlike the 6th movie).

Sam said...

The 7 Potters is my favorite chapter and I bet it WILL BE VERY AWESOME IN THE FILM! SO COOL! lovinnnnnnnnnnnng the suspense..I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!