Friday, September 10, 2010
I Want to See 'The Town' Next Week, Who's With Me?
There are several reasons why I'm anxious to see The Town in the theaters when it opens next week:
1. It features the fabulous Jon Hamm of Mad Men.
2. It's set in Boston.
3. It has scenes from Fenway Park.
4. Its screenplay was co-written and directed by Ben Affleck.
5. Entertainment Weekly gave the movie an A- saying, "Affleck the actor, meanwhile, does his best work playing flawed characters, surrounded by strong colleagues."
The reviewer, Lisa Schwarzbaum also observed, "The Town is like . . . a rich, dark, pulpy mess of entanglements that fulfills all the requirements of the genre, and is told with an ease and gusto that make the pulp tasty. Mad Men's Jon Hamm is solid as a he-means-business FBI guy . . . The Town is the good work of a guy on a path of discovery, with Boston as the artist's own Freedom Trail."
6. A reviewer from Variety wrote: "The behind-the-camera talent Ben Affleck displayed so bracingly in Gone Baby Gone is confirmed, if not significantly advanced, in The Town. Again proving a fine director of actors (this time with himself in a starring role), Affleck delivers another potent, serious-minded slice of pulp set on Boston's meanest streets, where loyalty among thieves runs thicker than blood."
I'm sold, are you?