Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Sometimes, You Just Feel Lucky

The Spouse and our three kids treated me to breakfast in bed (bagel, coffee, grapes, purple tulip in a vase) yesterday in honor of my birthday. Later, they took me out to dinner in a nice restaurant with actual cloth napkins and adult beverages.

My 5-year-old gave me the first card he’s ever made solely on his own, and his first with a drawing of us holding hands. (Usually he draws his father or something from “Star Wars.”)

My 8-year-old son made me a Red Sox and “Gilmore Girls” themed card with a drawing of the Red Sox baseball logo and me, along with the inscription, “To: The Best Mom Ever.”

My 8-year-old daughter made me a green card (my favorite color, not representative of my residency status as I was born in the Commonwealth o’ Massachusetts) with a self portrait inside. She also enclosed a card from her best friend that included the inscription, “Happy Birthday Abbey’s Mom.”

The Spouse gave me a mushy card in which he called me a “remarkable woman” and added, “I do love the life we have made.”

They all gave me the third season of “Gilmore Girls” on DVD, along with a Red Sox zip-up hooded sweatshirt and a Sox pull-over hoodie. That night, after the kids went to bed, The Spouse and I split a huge chocolate bar and watched an episode from latest season of “Gilmore Girls” on TV, followed by “House.

Color me happy.

E-mail Meredith

No comments: