Thursday, May 3, 2007

The Gilmore Girls Will Say Goodbye on May 15


Though the rumors flew fast and furious that the “Gilmore Girls” might return for an eighth season, today’s report in Variety put a sad end to that speculation.


“After weeks of talks aimed at bringing the show back for a limited run next season, the CW and Warner Bros. TV have decided to wrap production on the quirky dramedy that focused on fast-talking femmes,” Variety reported. “[N]ow in its seventh season, will air its final episode May 15.”

I came to this show late in the game but quickly fell in love with the independent, head-strong single mom Lorelai and her smart but vulnerable daughter Rory. I loved the quirky (yet fictional) New England town of Stars Hollow, the passionate arguments, the fiesty grandparents, the overall wit, the pop culture references and the fact that Rory was interested in journalism and became the editor of her college newspaper (reminded me of my college days, only at UMass, not Yale). My daughter Abbey and I started watching DVDs of the first seasons together during the past year and many interesting conversations have spawned from the Lorelai/Rory antics.


No doubt I’ll have a giant box of Kleenex by my side on May 15 when the “Girls” say goodbye one last time. (*sniff*)


(CW image via Variety.)

No comments: