Thursday, October 25, 2007

Three for Thursday: Bomb Scare, Wimpy Kids, and Hopkinton Halloween-Themed Event (With Book Signing)

Item #1: Bomb Scare

If I had known that I could’ve slept a little later this morning after having stayed up until the bitter end of last night’s Red Sox game (I know, I should be over the fear of them blowing a huge lead, but I’m not) and NOT driven out to UMass to teach my first class because the campus was closed early this morning after someone found a suspected explosive device in a classroom, I’d be a much happier person right now.

Item #2: Wimpy Kids

This San Francisco Chronicle article by Peter Hartlaub about what he called, and I quote, “the wussification of American children,” is on the mark. An excerpt:

“We pamper our kids, over-schedule them, overemphasize fairness in
competition (the score ends in a tie . . . again!) and keep them indoors too
much, to the point that we’re doing them a huge disservice. Kids aren’t learning
how to get hurt, lose, fend for themselves, find their balance and discover
minor dangers on their own – all important parts of growing up.”

Item #3: Hopkinton Halloween-Themed Event (With Book Signing)

If you’ve ever been to downtown Hopkinton — near the starting point of the Boston Marathon – you’ve likely seen the local drug store/gift shop called, cleverly enough, Hopkinton Drug. Well, I’m going to be on hand there this Saturday during their Halloween Open House event. No, I won’t be dispensing pharmaceuticals, making gift recommendations or musing about marathons. Instead, from 1:30-3 p.m. I’ll be signing copies of The Book, “A Suburban Mom: Notes from the Asylum.”

Including among the Hopkinton Drug Open House festivities for the kiddos and their ‘rents: A Halloween costume contest, an arts and crafts table, candy tasting, balloons and Halloween stories. The store can be found at 52 Main Street on the corner of Routes 85 and 135.

No comments: