Tuesday, February 17, 2009

An Entire Day of Best Picture Nominees, Could You Handle It?


Now I love movies as much as any movie fan. And, as a sucker for major creative awards shows (Golden Globes, Oscars, Emmys), I'm usually anxious to see for myself the films and TV programs the critics and those who bestow awards think were outstanding in a given year.

So when I read about AMC Theaters' Best Picture Showcase event on Saturday, February 21 -- where all five of the films nominated for Best Picture will be shown consecutively, starting in the morning and running until late into the evening -- you would think I'd be all over that. For $30 you get a ticket to all five movies -- Milk, The Reader (See still photo above), The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon -- and a free large popcorn with unlimited refills, but come on, how much popcorn can you eat in one day?

The first film starts at 10:30 in the morning, the last film starts at 9:45 p.m. That's a long haul, particularly if all you've eaten is popcorn all day, or those overpriced, microwaved pizzas. Maybe I'm showing my age here, but I don't know that I could stay awake for approximately 10 hours of movies. That's a lot of movie.

If you had the free time to devote an entire Saturday to Best Picture nominees, do you think you could make it through a marathon like this one? I've heard of people doing a marathon watching of 24 -- staying awake for nearly 24 hours to watch an entire season of the Jack Bauer drama -- but at least those folks watch the program in private homes. This movie marathon would be 10+ hours in a movie theater.

Image credit: Universal Studios via New York Observer.

No comments: