Tuesday, February 17, 2009

'Mad Men' & 'Revolutionary Road:' A Sisterhood of Suburban Misery?



I walked into the film Revolutionary Road (starring Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio) with the notion in my head that it would be very similar to Mad Men. When it wasn't -- tones were vastly different, characters motivated by different things, etc. -- I thought that my frame of reference was off, that I shouldn't be comparing the film and the TV program.

But once I started watching Mad Men's first season again on DVD, it smacked me in the face: The two female leads, Kate Winslet's April Wheeler and January Jones' Betty Draper, had comparable, soul-crushing experiences. Both were college educated, had lived in cities, had careers and then . . . the melancholy settled in. My weekly Pop Culture & Politics column over on Mommy Track'd compares the two characters.

Image credits: Long Island Press and AMC.

No comments: