Friday, May 21, 2010

About that 'Grey's' Finale . . .

*Warning, spoilers ahead from the Grey’s Anatomy season finale.*

Have you come down from that intense, highly caffeinated Grey’s Anatomy season six finale yet? Seriously.

The blood bath, the deaths, the tension. For two freakin’ hours. That’s not what I need to watch right before I going to bed.


I reviewed this finale for CliqueClack TV and, while I found it compelling, something that kept you glued to your TV in spite of yourself, that last part, having Meredith miscarry, felt painfully gratuitous. Did that really HAVE to happen, given all the bodies and all the blood that had already been spilled? Given that McDreamy was on the operating table with a gunshot wound to the chest, that Alex was bleeding out, that Owen had been shot and that Richard was putting his body – literally – between the gunman and his hospital? Given that two Mercy Westers (characters who I didn’t like anyway, but still . . . ) and other nameless others had been fatally gunned down? The folks with whom I was conversing via Twitter saw this turn of events as salt in a bloody, open wound.

Grey’s writer/creator Shonda Rhimes understood that people would be upset by the miscarriage and explained her decision on the Grey’s Anatomy writers' blog:

"Meredith is whole and healed. I love the scene where she tells April that it took her forever to find Derek and then it took her forever to realize she wanted to be his wife, have his kids. That’s a changed woman. The very fact that being pregnant makes her happy makes her a changed woman. And then she lost the baby. It took my breath away. That wince that Meredith gives before she says she is having a miscarriage, it took away my breath. Reed dies and Charles dies and it’s sad. But the miscarriage, that’s devastating. For Mer. For the audience. For everyone. But you don’t know how much you wanted something until you have lost it. You don’t know your true feelings until a thing you have is gone for good. And that’s what I wanted for Mer."

Another surprising tidbit from the writers' blog: Rhimes had originally planned for Bailey to get shot, but the notion bothered her so much that she had to change the scene. Rhimes said that after she first wrote the scene:

“. . . I couldn’t sleep, for days and days, I could not, sleep and I had to remove it from the script. Bailey getting shot was just too much for me. She’s our anchor. She’s the soul. Mer is the heart but Bailey is the soul and so I had to delete it. Because there was no way I could go on if Bailey had a bullet wound. The world would just be too . . . broken.”



Watching that scene above makes me feel tense all over again. Thoughts on the finale?

Image credit: Scott Garfield/ABC.

No comments: