Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows’ Trailer: Dark and Awash in Grays



The final book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is a long slog through a whole lot of somber, frightening darkness, both literal and figurative. Following on the heels of the emotional death of Harry’s mentor and protector, Albus Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (I was so very sad when I read that scene for the first time), there’s not a whole lot of jubilance and celebration to be had in Deathly Hallows as Harry, 17, matured and sought to figure out what needed to be done in order to challenge his nemesis, Lord Voldemort.

But geez, the brand spankin’ new trailer for the film series' two-part finale – part one slated for a November release and part two for July 2011 – is one long image of blacks and grays amid threats, battles galore and sinister Dark Magic. After watching it a couple of times, I’m left wondering if the film’s going to wind up being too dark and violent for my 11-year-old Harry Potter fanatics, who’ve seen all the movies (though my daughter refused to watch Dumbledore die on screen) and who've read the series of books so many times through that I’ve lost count.

What do you think of the trailer?

2 comments:

Cooley Horner said...

Personally? I think it looks amazing, and it looks like a good tone for the final installment. I thought the tone of Movie #6 was wayyyy to light and sporadic for its source material, so I'm glad they're trying to do it right this time. So much was left out of HBP that I left the theater feeling very disappointed, but it looks like they're putting into 7 what they left out in 6.

I could see how it might be too dark for kids, but the series has always been about maturing and facing the darkness that lurks around us. The first books were light and fun with the promise of a happy ending--somehow or other, after all, Gryffindor always won the House Cup--but the last 3 installments of the series are really about grappling with adulthood. The themes of good and evil and whether or not one can identify them really sends off the last book, so I'm glad they're focusing on that in the final film.

Meredith O'Brien said...

I too was disappointed with Half-Blood Prince and thought too much context and detail was left on the cutting room floor.

I agree that the final book was the most adult and mature one of the series and dealt with much more serious issues, particularly when the trio were left with no more protectors to shield them.

I just hope the movie's not all action/fight oriented and that they do leave some room for the more poignant moments that add to the story overall.