Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Notes on Pop Culture: Bye-Bye 'My Boys,' 'The Big C' Gets Crazy, Fall TV Previews

Bye-Bye My Boys

Just as news about the reported sexual harassment of a female sports journalist is making headlines nationwide (I’ll write more about that in another post), TBS goes and cancels the comedy My Boys, whose lead character PJ Franklin, (Jordana Spiro) is a sporty woman who's also a sports reporter for the Chicago Sun-Times. That just stinks. I was fond of PJ.

The Big C Gets Crazy

While the latest episode of The Big C showcased Laura Linney’s cancer patient acting all wild, crazy and impulsive by emptying her 401K, buying a red convertible (without researching it in Consumer Reports first!), splurging on pricey champagne, bribing a restaurant waitress to keep her wine glass full during lunch and pretending to be her dermatologist’s girlfriend when she forced herself to accompany him on his house hunting trip, I wondered in my episode review on CliqueClack TV whether the show can keep this particular thread going: Watching Cathy go through various iterations of acting on every whim as a response to her dire cancer diagnosis.



Fall TV Previews

I surveyed the new and returning fall shows in my pop culture column this week. The show I’m most anxious to see: Modern Family. Can't. Wait.



After last season’s gripping finale, I’m looking forward to Grey’s Anatomy’s return as well. (There are abundant spoilers floating around about a wedding between a particularly challenged Grey's couple in the season seven premiere.)

One show about which I’m on the fence: Desperate Housewives.

I’m also intrigued by The Event but fear it may be a let-down a la FlashForward.

What fall shows are you looking forward to seeing?

Image credit: TBS via Entertainment Weekly.

No comments: