Tuesday, November 23, 2010

In Between Peeling Potatoes & ODing on Turkey, 'Modern Family' Clips Provide Levity

As the level of stress starts to mount (if it hasn't already) and you gird yourself to host/travel to/put up with/revel in the great American Thanksgiving feast, here are two TV clips to give you a laugh and lighten the mood, if your mood needs lightening, as mine does when my To Do list is gigantic.

I watched the most recent episode of Modern Family -- "Manny Get Your Gun" – with my own personal, quirky version of the Dunphy family on Friday night, courtesy of our trusty DVR, and we laughed our butts off. (The barefoot Luke scene literally happened in my house hours before we watched the episode.) We agreed that this was the funniest installment of Modern Family we've seen to date.

ABC has posted two scenes from that episode online including the one below featuring Jay and Gloria’s argument over her lost car keys and Manny saying he was going to take a pass on his birthday party because he realized he’d completely missed his childhood. The scene was “capped” by Gloria’s effective use of Jay’s birthday gift to Manny, which made my 9-year-old son voice his desire for his own, personal BB gun, like Manny's (something likely to increase after we watch The Christmas Story for the bazillionth time):


 
And then there was the flash mob. En Vogue’s “Free Your Mind” has been stuck in my head since I watched the episode. (I actually own that CD from 1992. Gave it to my daughter who has taken a shining to the song.)



Hope you have a great Thanksgiving with the family, or without, whatever the case may be. Yours truly will be having two, count ‘em, TWO Thanksgiving dinners, one that The Spouse and I are hosting for a whole mess o’people (we're deep frying two turkeys, huzzah!) and one that we’re attending, to which we're bringing pies and side dishes. We’ve got a visit to Santa on tap, as well as a parade to see, along with at least one youth hockey game to go to and hopefully we'll do it all after consuming an ample quantity of gravy.

I’ll be back here on Monday, already feeling behind on my Christmas shopping (I do NOT participate in that Black Friday insanity), ready to break out the Christmas music and holiday TV specials. One of my closest friends joked that she's going to start answering her phone, "Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?" What a great idea. Wish I'd thought of it first.

No comments: