Thursday, April 5, 2007

Three for Thursday

Item #1: Suburban Turmoil: I Love You Too

And I’m not just saying I love Suburban Turmoil because the blogger who runs the site wrote really nice things about The Book – A Suburban Mom: Notes from the Asylum. Blogger and mother of a newborn, a 2-year-old and step-mom to two, Lindsay Ferrier was kind enough to say of The Book:

“. . . Meredith comes across as smart, funny and real. While so many
published writers have a bit of that face it, I’m better than you air in their
writing, Meredith’s stories read like she could be telling them to you over
coffee at Starbucks.”

She also added, “The truth is, I wish Meredith lived in Nashville instead of Boston because then I would show up at her front doorstep and refuse to leave until she agreed to be my friend.”

Back at ya sista.

Item #2: To Steal a Line From Dave Barry, ‘I’m Not Making This Up’

My 8-year-old daughter just came home from school all upset, insisting she had to immediately go to a friend’s house to log onto the internet – seeing as though I’m using my laptop – so, get this, her Webkinz, the plush, fluffy white dog she owns won’t die.

“Mom! There’s a rumor going around that if you don’t go on Webkinz World [online] your Webkinz might die!” Abbey said without a shred of incredulity.

I burst out laughing, as this was the funniest thing I’d heard all day.

“I’m serious!” she said, putting her little fists onto her hips. “There are people who want to close down Webkinz World.”

I . . . I . . . I had nothin’ but mocking laughter to toss her way. So I dialed the number for the neighbor’s house, handed her the telephone and off she went to save her Webkinz.

Item #3: I’m Wholly (Holy) Unprepared

We’re celebrating Passover a bit late and are having a total of 18 people at my house on Saturday afternoon. Swamped with work and with the specter of the kids hanging around tomorrow because they have the day off from school (it’ll be Good Friday and all), I haven’t done everything I need to do.

We still need an extra table and more chairs. We haven’t cleaned. And even though I got groceries delivered yesterday by Peapod (a local grocery store service that delivers large quarts of gin . . . uh, no, silly, of course they deliver groceries), they were out of some key items I needed, like (*gag*) Gefilte fish, a must-have for Passover dinner. Even though my sister-in-law agreed to take care of that for me, I’m now realizing that I forgot to order horseradish and few other items.

Then, on Sunday, we’ll also be partaking of Easter festivities with my parents. Only the idiot Easter Bunny at my house has yet to go out and buy stuff to put inside the Easter eggs for the Easter egg hunt on Sunday morning. Oh, and my other sister-in-law is having an Easter egg hunt at her house tomorrow and I’ve done a big fat nothing to help her with that.

Luckily, ‘tis the season for forgiveness. (I hope.)

E-mail Meredith

No comments: